Friday, December 9, 2016

FF Beetle

DESCRIPTION: I could simply copy-&-paste from Para Post Deer Hair Beetle.........😏How about calling it a kind reminder😓!?

Here's another highly visible beetle pattern while keeping the color and silhouette as effective as starndard patterns.
Just like ants, beetles and their fly patterns are underrated due to popularity and iconic images of hopper patterns and its fishing. I just can't emphasize how important beetles are as trout diet during summer months. That being said, I have found beetles from trout stomach pumps as early as in early March on Bighorn River to as late as mid October on Yellowstone River.
Even if anglers are preached to use ants or beetle, they still hesitate = because they are much smaller than hoppers and "black", hard to see......... Conceded......... Well, there are number of ways to improve our visibility. (#1 improve your casting so you know where your flies will land.....I know that's too much to demand.) Ants and beetles can be trailed behind hopper. Also add something that's bright enough and makes contrast from surroundings.

One day I was thinking about a beetle pattern with foam. Foam definitely adds buoyancy on the entire fly and oftentimes I could keep dwelling on one piece of foam until I may come up with something. Yet, still a black dot in the middle of river.........  I was manipulating a peice of foam to make segmentations without overly getting confusing or time-consuming. Folding procedure worked out!! Then I added a tuft of synthetic materials as wing. It doesn't add buoyancy but quite visibility. I finished the fly with sets of rubber legs.

Now this beetle pattern is buoyant and visible by itself!! Certainly trailing behind hopper or other large dry-flies are effective but now we don't have to depend on their boyancy or visibility as this one itself stands out on the water. Results has been better than ever!!

Bottom view = trout view
Color of wing is just a choice. But also I use this to identify the size as I tuck them into my Beetle Box. In this case, Pink wings are in size 14 and green in size 16.

For wing colors, I use Yellow, White, Pink, Orange, and Green.

SPECIFY Wing color(s) if you wish!
SIZE: 12, 14, 16, 18
PRICE: $2.25 each

No comments:

Post a Comment