Sunday, April 5, 2015

(UPDATE) Chewy & Flexi Midge Larva - New Colors & Sizes & Uses

DESCRIPTION: My own original Chewy & Flexi Larva patterns (click here) have been one of the most consistent & reliable patterns to attract trout at Livingston's spring creeks. Upon further uses, experiments, and OBSERVATION, I have learned that I need different colors other than standard RED and sizes larger than typical 18, 20, & 22.

Take a look at my stomach sample results of one particular trout that I caught in the "midge infested" spot...........
Chronomid larva??
 Have you pumped the stomach of Whitefish? - This is from a small rainbow that lives in such a spot......

So here they are.
Chewy Midge Larva
Original RED

Black
 Dark olive
 Light olive
Gray

Flexi Midge Larva
As discussed with the original red, If you want the fly to have smaller silhouette while fishing, adjust the length by trimming both or either end.
Original Red

Black
 Dark olive
 Light olive
Gray
Examples of How Colors Matter 
Photos on top are from stomach samples of trout in Livingston's spring creeks. Over there, though I'm not limiting to, red & black work better than other colors and are my primary choices.
However just the other day on Missouri River, stomach samples of trout caught during midge hatches (with these patterns of course) contained more light/pale colors.
New Use & Modification
From fall 2014 to Spring 2015, it's been some of the best midge hatches at DePuy's Spring Creek in Livingston, MT. Then I fish Bighorn and Missouri Rivers = two of the world famous tailwater fisheries in Montana = that also have great midge hatches and selectively rising trout. So, I have had quite opportunities to test and examine my theories and idea.
Through observation and trails during midge hatches, I have been seeing quite amount of midge larva are eaten besides pupa and definitely over adults. Oftentimes, larvae are eaten than pupae or adults. That tells me larvae must be taken in any level of water column. But then again, trout are rising = feeding closer to the surface. My approach was to modify my own Flexi at the stream. I trimmed the head into the half length to give a silhouette of pupa rather than a worm. This modification has been proven to be super deadly!!
I use this as a dropper under my midge dry-fly (look for my own patterns in this catalog such as Midge APE and Goose Biot Midge). What does this tell you?

Larger Sizes - for Stillwater and Chronomid larva
As seen in pictures, there do exist larger larva that I suspect Chronomids. Chronomids are basically larger cousins that are typically found in lakes and ponds. They also can be found at very slow sections and "slough" like spots of spring creeks - where those pictures are taken. I'm very confident of these larger versions of Chewy & Flexi will do the job!
Following flies were tied with exactly the same methods and materials except for the size of hooks. I'd like you to take a look the difference.



Super Up-Close-&-Personal sight-fishing = barely rod-length apart!! = with Flexi larva!!

SIZES: 14, 16, 18, 20, 22
PRICE: $2.25
Tying instruction video is on my YouTube Channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment