Thursday, November 7, 2013

Drowned Soft-Hackle Hopper & Cricket

Description: Hopper season is the busiest time for both anglers and guides. When big trout come up to large dry-flies with their mouths wide & open, that will be one of the most memorable moments of the year. Hence, there are lots of high-floating & highly-elaborated patterns in the market, which I admire and love to use.

One day when I was fishing one of Yellowstone Park Northeast rivers, a large cutthroat trout chased my hopper after it was taken by current and washed away at certain depth. That trout repeated the "darts" a couple more times. It must have been chasing drowned hoppers. That's right. All terrestrial creatures will eventually sink (unlike hatching insects from the water). So while every tyer tries to device high-floating & eye-appealing patterns in this era, I choose the other direction = going down with wet-fly/soft-hackle. Indeed there are not many drowned hopper patterns even on online searches. So it would be great if I could make a niche in the market, but rather, I want to make people aware of different ways of thinking and observation. So here's my interpretation.

Drowned Hopper.
Top view. See how I set up wings.

Same idea was applied for crickets.
Top view.

There were actually many trout who were thinking & seeing the same thing as I.........

Size: 8 & 10 Specify hopper or cricket.
Price: $2.25 each

No comments:

Post a Comment