Monday, February 7, 2011

Royal Ray Charles

Well, I wish my first fly would have been a much cooler and fantastic arsenal other than scud patterns. But here it is, my own design "Royal Ray Charles".


Description & Story Behind: What I learned about scuds is that they develop an “orange-hot-spot” caused by internal parasites. Some might refer as “pregnant spot” but the fact is “dying spot” that makes any stillwater trout gorge on dying scud. I modified regular Ray Charles by wrapping orange ostrich herls between olives, as tying red floss in Royal Wulff. Thus the name, “Royal Ray Charles”, was born.


It keeps catching heavily fished trout in one of the most heavily fished stillwaters in eastern WA State (Google "rocky ford creek"). I believe it catches trout eyes as a general olive scud then the “hot-spot” must trigger some instinctive aggression. It should work at any stillwaters and spring creeks including creeks right here in Paradise Valley.
Anyway here are the proof shots.











Price is $2.25 each. Flies will be packed in little containers then sent in an envelope.

Size 16 and 18. Mix available if you request. Size 14 and 20 can be tied if needed for your home waters.

For this fly, MONEY BACK GUARANTEE if you don't like my tying or your fishing results. I Promise!! I am that much confident of this fly!!

2 comments:

  1. I really like this pattern. I make a bead body scud with a pink spot, due to the fact I only had pink beads. It turned out to be a great fish catcher. Great blog and patterns!! You my friend have a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for kind words. I like my invetion too. You have great flies in your blogs too. Keep up good works.

    ReplyDelete